2014 © American Academy of Pediatrics
Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD, MS Ed, FAAP, FSAHM; Sara B. Kinsman, MD, PhD
ISBN-10: 1-58110-748-X / ISBN-13: 978-1-58110-748-7
This groundbreaking multimedia resource embodies the core belief that identifying, reinforcing, and building on inherent strengths can facilitate positive youth development.
Text and video combine to show how expert-tested, strength-based communication approaches work in today’s teens. Contributions from leading practitioners - plus first-hand perspectives from teens - help you refine your communication strategies and skills.
Professionals and teens offer hard-won insight on addressing behavioral and emotional issues; crisis management; stress management; sexuality; grief; depression; peer pressure; substance abuse; sexual abuse; bullying; youth violence - virtually all the issues you’re most likely to encounter.
- • Successful solutions targeting today’s foremost youth-development issues
- • Created to benefit all professionals who serve adolescents, Reaching Teens explores and demonstrates communications strategies for diverse healthcare, counseling, youth programs, and educational settings.
- • Bolster your communication skills with this multi-facted ‘how to’ resource
- • 400+ Video clips!
Turn here for actionable advice and counsel spanning your toughest youth communication challenges:
- • How to help teens recognize existing strengths
- • How to empower wiser decisions and healthier choices
- • How to foster resilience-building
- • How to ally with parents and support effective parenting
- • How to develop and prioritize your interventions
- • How to help with special psychosocial and environmental challenges
- • How to de-escalate crisis situations
- • How to establish appropriate boundaries
- • How to discourage unhealthy relationships
- • How to serve populations with special healthcare needs
- • How to practice effective self-care that enhances your ability to serve youth
- • And much more!
Table of Contents